Menu

How to Reach Coimbatore from Fort Kochi by Bus & Train

How to Reach Coimbatore from Fort Kochi by Bus & Train
Going to Coimbatore, Tamil Nadu from Fort Kochi, Kerala requires a combination of bus and train transportation and a bit of walking. 

I included Coimbatore as part of my itinerary in India for the sole purpose of cutting my trip to Ooty in half. I didn’t want to be exhausted and spend the entire day on the road. What you’ll read below are detailed instructions on how to get to Coimbatore from Fort Kochi via Ernakulam based on my first-hand experience.

Bus from Fort Kochi to Ernakulam Junction
 
The main bus terminal in Fort Cochin is located along Bellar Road close to the Chinese fishing nets. From there, you can find the buses going to Ernakulam town via Thopumpadi, Pandikudi, and Willingdon. The labels on these buses, however, are written in their local (Malayalam) language so better ask the bus conductor to verify and avoid getting lost. I think it is also possible to take the ferry from Fort Kochi to Ernakulam town but I left early in the morning so I didn’t bother going to the wharf.

The Ernakulam Junction is about 20 kilometers away by bus. It took me about an hour and a half to get there. I initially thought that the public bus would go directly to the train station but I was later told by the conductor that I had to be dropped off in Karshaka Road. From there, I walked about a kilometer to get to the station.



Train from Ernakulam Junction to Coimbatore
Numerous trains run between Ernakulam and Coimbatore. I did not have a difficult time buying a ticket in the counter. I managed to get an ordinary seat in a “Super Fast Express” train which leaves at 8:50am and arrives at 1:30pm. It’s a long 206-kilometer journey and I only paid 90 rupees (1.30$). Amazingly cheap!


No comments:

Post a Comment

Translate This Blog

Pageviews

Blog Snippets

Contact Form

Name

Email *

Message *